It’s official. I’m on the bright eyes train this summer. After the last BLOTD, I was hooked and I’m looking for any and everything that screams color. When Avon contacted me to review their Glimmerstick in Aqua Flash I was all in. I’ve used their liners before in more subtle colors like silver and black so I already knew the product itself was solid. Their easy to use, glide on smooth, and have great staying power. The true test was the color and when they say flash, they really weren’t kidding! It’s so bright and bold, it can be worn alone which is exactly what I did. Some makeup artists may say that colored liner outside the entertainment industry is a no-no but I’m all about becoming a beauty rule breaker! I also got the chance to review their SuperExtend Infinite Mascara and their Totally Kissable Lipstick. The mascara gave the right amount of volume for a day look with no clumps. The lipstick felt smooth and soft, though I wasn’t crazy about the color on me. I thought it was too pale of a pink for my skin tone but I am interested in trying out any other colors they have that are right up my alley (Makeout Red and Berry Smooch look gorgeous!)
- Avon Cream to Powder Foundation**
- Sheer Cover Concealer**
Avon Totally Kissable Lipstick in Lovey Dovey*
You may recognize the hairstyle from last week’s outfit post. I wanted to do an updo but didn’t want to go with the usual puff. So I gave my hair a little side bang action and scooped up the rest into a high ponytail. Easy peasy!
Are you going bold with eye color this summer?
*These products were received as free samples for review
**These products were received previously as free samples for past reviews.
Posted by MJ on May 10, 2013
Though I love experimenting with every color eye shadow under the sun, I do have my days where I just want a nice daytime look. My Natural Eye Palette gets plenty of love from me so I wanted to use some of my other neutral shadows. I was heading out to a baby shower and my outfit was cute and casual, so I wanted my beauty look to be the same way. I dug around my stash and found this sparkly brown shadow from Milani so I was excited to use it! There’s always room for sparkle, even in the daytime!
The baby shower was outside so I didn’t want anything too heavy but would control the shine. So I went with Avon’s Cream to Powder Foundation in Cocoa, finishing with my favorite press powder from Covergirl.
- As I mentioned before, I used Milani’s Runway Eyes in Bronze Doll as a highlight color on the lids. It has great color and a subtle sparkle that I love. Even you want even more depth of color, you can apply it with a wet brush.
- To help this gorgeous bronze color stand out, I swept Sue Devitt’s shadow in Burma, a matte chocolate shade in the creases and brow bone.
- I thought a black liner would be too much, so I went for Avon’s Everlasting liquid liner in dark brown. The thin line along the upper lash line opened my eyes up even more.
- I finished up with Maybelline’s Colossal Volume Mascara in black.
I wanted a natural looking gloss with a touch of shimmer, so I used Avon’s Everlasting Lip Gloss in Apple Cinnamon.
My little girl totally dictated this hair style. She is at the stage where she wants to reach up and grab everything, including my hair so it gets put up a lot more often. I didn’t want to do my standard puff, so I gave myself a little mini bump in the front. I spritzed my hair with water and used Shea Moisture’s Curling Souffle for hold and shine. And oh, can I just say that the dreaded postpartum hair shedding has stopped! Halleluiah! I would have a Chia pet after every hair wash. So gross! My thinning edges are starting to grow in, thanks to applying a little caster oil after washing my hair. Works wonders I tell you!
If you’re looking for a great date night look, check out my tutorial on Yahoo! Shine!
Posted by MJ on February 27, 2013
As the summer draws to close, I’m already looking ahead to Fall and how to I can transition my style for the upcoming season. The heat was extra brutal this summer, putting my tinted moisturizer to work but milder weather is on the horizon and I’m anxious to change things up.
Enter Avon’s ExtraLasting Cream-to-Powder Foundation
Before I go any further, I must tell you, that I’ve been using the same foundation for the past three years. I’ve always been reluctant to try anything new (my skin is super particular when it comes to that). However, I’ve always been a fan of Avon’s products and they rarely disappoint. So I stepped out of my foundation box and gave this foundation a try! With this product, Avon promises to give your face a flawless matte finish, withstanding sweat and humidity for up to 18 hours.
I was quite impressed!
The shade I used (Dark Cocoa) matched my skin tone perfectly. The formula goes on smooth with the powder keeping my T-zone so under control I didn’t have to follow up with my regular powder. It gave me the medium coverage I needed without feeling heavy and drying my skin out. I also didn’t have to pile of ton of it on, which is something I never like doing with it comes to foundation. It stood up to his Florida heat and humidity quite nice, staying put for most of the day. The compact itself is super cute, with a separate compartment for the applicator. My only tiff is that the dark shades do not have SPF 15 protection, which is a bummer because we darker skin ladies need just as much protection from the sun.
As loyal as I am to my foundation, I found this one to be great product to use when transitioning to the Fall. It gives you the same results you would get from using a foundation while feeling light enough to use while the temps are still up there.
How are you transitioning your beauty routine for the Fall?
Top photo courtesy of: Avon
FTC Disclosure: Product used in this review was received as a free sample.
Posted by MJ on August 14, 2012
Okay, your girl is staying true to her word and trying to push out of her makeup comfort zone! I’m trying to challenge myself and learn some new skills and once again one of my favorite beauty blogs Makeup Geek came through for me! I came across her tutorial for Ombre eyes and I knew I just had to try this! I admit, this one was a toughie for me because not only was I working with a deeply pigmented cream shadow for the first time, it also put my layering and blending skills to the test. When I tell you I was literally in the bathroom for a good thirty minutes or so trying to pull this off, I’m not even kidding! The colors weren’t as deep as I wanted it to be but it works as a day look.
Okay, so this is what I did:
- I prepped my lids with TooFaced Insurance Primer to make sure these colors didn’t crease on me and stayed put. I mean after all that hard work, that’s the last thing I wanted to happen!
- Using Avon’s Glimmersticks eyeliner in black I lined the upper lash line and then used a pencil brush to buff out the harsh line.
- Because I didn’t have a cream shadow in dark blue, I used NYC Eyeshadow base mixed with Midnight from TooFaced Smokey Eye Collection to apply to my lower lid making sure I stopped mid lid.
- I applied Makeup Forever’s Aqua Cream on the upper lid and crease
- Instead of using a white shadow like she did in the tutorial, I went with a more subtle color, using Mary Kay’s Eyesicles in Vanilla on the brow bone.
- Now that the base colors for this look are in place, it’s time to get to blending! I started with the dark blue shadow from the CoverGirl Blazing Blue Eye Enhancing Palette on the lower lid, once again stopping mid lid.
- Using the aqua blue shadow from my POP Beauty Pin Up Palette I finished off the lid, making sure I blending the two blues so there aren’t any harsh lines.
- Going back to the same CoverGirl palette I used before, I used the light blue color in the creases and blended it out into the browbone.
- I swept Heaven from the TooFaced Natural Eye Collection onto the brow bone to soften it up and let the blues have their moment!
- I went back over the lashline with the Avon liner and then used Black Suede from TooFaced to deepen the color.
- I cleaned up around my eyes with my CoverGirl powder and coated my lashes with Buxom Mascara.
- To keep my lips toned down I used Avon gloss in Apple Cinnamon.
As you can see, it wasn’t the easiest look I’ve done but I was pleased with how it came out. Is this a look you would try?
FTC Disclosure: All of the products except the Makeup Forever Aqua Cream, TooFaced Smokey Eye Collection, Avon Glimmersticks liner, and Avon lip gloss were all personally purchased by me. Products just mentioned were received as free samples for review.
Posted by MJ on July 20, 2012
Beauty Blogger confession: I haven’t made myself up in weeks. Getting out of bed every morning has proved to be a mission but after giving my makeup stash a good spring cleaning, I came across some goodies I haven’t used in awhile. So I was inspired (for a few days anyways!)
I’ve been meaning to do a look with green shadow for awhile now, especially when I bought some shades from Ulta a few months back. Blue and Pink has always been my favorite colors to play with but I wanted to see if I could pull this bold color off. Life got crazy so I never got around to it so I used my new found motivation (and energy) to put together a day look using different shades of green. I went with a really neutral lip gloss so I didn’t have too much going on. I admit the eyes weren’t as bold as I wanted them to be but now that I’m really digging this color I’m the hunt for some shadows that will give me the deep pigmentation I want.
- Ulta Eyeshadow in Verdigris on the eyelids
- Ulta Eyeshadow in Envy in the creases and into the brow bone
- Dark Green shadow from the Cool as a Cucumber Palette from Wet-n-Wild on the outer corners
- Glimmersticks eye liner from Avon in Emerald
- Buxom Mascara in black
- Avon Cream blush
- Glazewear lip gloss from Avon in Sweet Maple
With my hair, I took a different approach from my usual wash and goes. After using my leave in conditioner, I divided my hair into big sections. I applied Shea Moisture’s Curling Smoothie, a little olive oil to seal in the moisture, and then the Curling Souflee from Shea Moisture to give my hair some hold. After combing my hair out, I put each section into big loose twists and let my hair dry overnight. Not only did doing this stretch my hair and give my hair a cute curl pattern, I found that my hair stayed moisturized much longer so I don’t have to use a lot of products throughout the week. Even on my laziest days I can pull this off and that gives this routine extra brownie points!
So wassup ladies?? How was your weekend?
Posted by MJ on April 9, 2012