Friend Friday: Living Your Dreams

Happy Friday Ladies!  Friend Friday is in full effect!

I’m glad that Katy chose these questions this week because I’ve been giving a lot of thought to how I can get closer to my dreams.  Getting to live out your passion is what motivates us to get through the day to day and really appreciate the little successes along the way.  If you told me two years ago I would be doing all of this, I will look at you like your crazy! LOL.  Back then I thought I was chasing my lifelong dream and it took me learning the hard way that I was chasing the wrong things and not living the life that was meant for me.  So I’m super excited to be able to share them with you guys!

Fess up – if you could do anything professionally what would it be?

If I could do anything professionally it would be writing.  Whether it be a novelist, a blogger, a copywriter, a journalist – anything that will allow me to sit in front of my laptop and write all day.  I already do plenty of writing in my spare time so if I could do that as my day job, I would be in heaven! J

What draws you to this?

Writing has always been a way for me to escape into my creativity.  As a kid I always walked around with a notebook and a pen so I was ready to write down anything that came to mind, whether it was a new story idea, a poem, or even a song.  It’s so awesome to be able to take an idea and be able to show someone else what goes on in your brain on paper – and they get it!  Even when I was doing my legal studies, my favorite part of it wasn’t arguing in court, but rather coming up with a solution to a legal problem in a memo or brief.  Now that I’m blogging, I’ve found a new way to express my creativity and exercise my voice while meeting awesome people who share my passion along the way.

When did you first start dreaming about this ideal?

Well, if we want to get technical, we can go way back to the beginning when I used to write stories in grade school.  I was always writing and loved sharing my work with my friends.  In our elementary school yearbook in the section of future careers, I put down “Writer”.  See my sixth grade self knew me a lot better than my college one.

Chidren's Book

The first book I wrote and had "published" in the school library. I was ten so excuse the really bad drawings! LOL

Instead of continuing with that dream, I went with the legal route instead.  I liked it and did everything I could to be an attorney.  Once out of college, nothing I did in order to get into law school worked.  After two degrees, taking the LSAT twice, and landing the first (and the worst!) job in the field I came across that yearbook and it cliqued.  Two years ago I was introduced to blogging which got the ball rolling and I haven’t looked back since!

The first novel I wrote when I was about 12. It was about 215 pages using a whole spiral notebook and two notepads.

What’s holding you back from going all in?

The only thing that’s holding me back in a way is the fact I still have to pay bills!  That’s why I keep my day job.  Other than that, I’m doing everything I can to achieve that dream. I’m working hard every day to do and learn as much as I can to take this blog to the next level.  I’m a business partner of small press publishing company, my first book is due out in about two months, and I started freelancing.  So you’re girl is hustling hard!  It’s gets rough sometimes trying to balance blogging, writing, a husband, and family but I just think about being able to do this for a living and it keeps me going!

Sometimes the first step is the hardest… what’s one step you can take now on the way to realizing your dream?

One step that I can take (and plan to take real soon) to realize this dream is to immerse myself in the business side of things.  Everything I’m doing now is leading up to building my own business and brand so I have to learn not only how to build, run, and maintain a business but marketing concepts as well such as building a brand,  identifying target markets and market segments, as well as gaining advance skills in social media.  Taking classes and just networking with other bloggers and professionals to learn and grow is definitely in the immediate future!

So tell me, what are your dreams?

Photo courtesy of:  inthemazeofherimagination.blogspot.com

14 thoughts on “Friend Friday: Living Your Dreams

1. Stephanie says:

What an awesome post! I love how you kept all your writing. It’s always funny how you go back and see how your dreams haven’t really changed. That’s so exciting that you’re going to have your book published. :)

Thank you!! I’m so glad I kept them because it really keeps me motivated to keep pushing through, even when I feel like giving up.

2. Veshoevius says:

Oh it was so moving to see those photos of your writing projects as a kid! And I think you are right – as children we instinctively know what we want to be and then life distracts us. I know what you mean too about juggling day job plus your creative sidelines while still having to make time for your other half, the dishes, Mum and Dad etc… I sincerely hope you get to live the dream – you are certainly working very hard to achieve it! xx

Thank you so much. It’s amazing that we were a lot smarter as kids than we are as adults, especially when it comes to our life long passions!

3. Fajr | Stylish Thought says:

I love this post MJ! I feel the same way about writing and have similar old novels from when I was a kid. It does seem like life is all about pursuing are dreams and I totally love your hustle! A woman after my own heart!

Thank you! It’s hard sometimes but you have to keep those dreams in the forefront of your mind so it all doesn’t seem so bad! :)

4. Dress Me Polly says:

I love that story! I love your major length novel at 12!
    I swear, who we were at 12 is who we are now. I didn’t let anyone argue me out of my dreams at that age, though my Dad really tried. I ignored.
    Have you read the novel you wrote at 12 again recently? Is it cute, good, funny? I’m SO glad you still have it!

Thank you! And you’re right. Our younger selves were more in touch with our passions! I read some of it believe it or not last night as I was typing this post and it was a cool, children’s fantasy story with lots of adventure and of course, all girls! LOL. I think after this novel project gets off the ground, I want to edit it and officially publish it. I think my 12 year old self would be very proud! :)

5. Kimberlee says:

I feel exactly the same way about writing. Wow you wrote stories that’s so awesome! I wrote a lot of poems and even made my own magazine hehe Finances are always a struggle when pursuing your dreams. Best of luck!

6. Katy says:

Writing full time is ALL about the networking. I’ve landed more freelance gigs (both long-term and one-offs) from people I know who know people looking for a good writer. A certain number have come through social media networking as well. But you have to put yourself out there constantly to see people take interest. It’s do-able, but it’s a huge project. – Katy
    PS I need to check out this small publishing press… maybe for my next book.

That is great advice! I know I have to get a website going for that and really push myself out there. I think we can get done with this book I’ll have a little more time to really push it.

Definitely check the company out. We are all authors who pooled our resources and skill sets together so we can all get our books published and well as help others. If you want to learn more about it just email me! :)

7. Courtney says:

I love reading about everyone’s dreams! It’s so inspiring. I think it’s great that you shared these.

I have notebooks like yours, too. I remember when I was a kid, I used to fill up notebooks so fast. Makes me think it would be nice to get back to that spirit.

I loved reading everyone’s answers too! They were all so different and so inspiring! Loved it!

Yeah, I wish I could just walk around with my notebook and just write stuff down all day long! Grown up stuff kinda gets in the way sometimes! :)