This review was a first for me because I have never tried an at-home facial peel before. In all honesty, when I think of a peel, I’m thinking lab lasers and red, blotchy skin that needs a few days to go away (did you guys see that Mob Wives episode??) The beauty junkie in me couldn’t resist however when I was offered the opportunity to review the Brazilian Peel from Advanced Home Actives, a product that was voted as a Sephora best seller. It’s a four week treatment that removes dead skin cells and aid in the skin’s regeneration it needs to minimize fine lines, sun spots and dryness.
The kit itself is easy to use supplying you with four syringe looking tubes. Don’t worry, you don’t have to inject your face, but rather twist off the plastic cap and push glycolic and acai gel (the clear suff) and the Q-Mag neutralizer (the white stuff) into the palm of your hand. After mixing the two together, it’s ready to be applied. It feels like a nice, warm gel when it goes on and when it dries, it’s clear and a little sticky to touch. Leave it on for 15 minutes and just rinse off with warm water.
After using three treatments, I must say I like it! I didn’t experience any type of irritation or breakouts whatsoever. My skin did feel soft and I did have a noticeable glow afterwards that I absolutely loved! The way the gel warmed up in my hand was pretty cool and I had the same results every time I used it. I can see myself treating myself to this every once and awhile as an extra boost to my routine. The price point is a little on the high side too ($78), which is another reason it goes into my “Pamper Me” category!
Not only did I get a chance to enter the world of the Brazilian Peel I also got to interview the brains behind the product, Mac Smith. He shared with me the benefits of facial peels, along with more info on this product and his top skin care don’ts!
What are the benefits of doing at home facial peels with products such as yours? How does it enhance our normal skin care routine?
Exfoliation treatments, such as Brazilian Peel, can complement and enhance any skincare routine. The benefits include clearing the pores of debris and dead cells. This in turn helps to naturally stimulate cellular turnover, to allow the products you currently use to apply more evenly and offer better absorption, and to impart a healthy, even glow. With regular weekly use, fine lines and wrinkles, discoloration and skin texture are improved, and skin feels firmer and glows.
2. I noticed that when I mixed the two substances that come in the kit together in my hand, the liquid became very hot. I’m curious to know what’s happening when they come together?
The warming sensation you feel when combining the glycolic and acai gel (the clear chamber of the applicator) with our patented Q-Mag neutralizer (the white chamber of the applicator) is the action that eventually neutralizes the glycolic so that the “peeling” action is stopped. This is actually a process that involves pH levels. The warmth should be comforting and not at all alarming.
3. How often should we be doing this type of facial?
The recommendation is to exfoliate with this level of treatment one time per week on a regular basis. With regular use, over time, you can maintain younger-looking skin and soften the signs of aging such as fine lines and wrinkles, discoloration and rough skin texture.
4. Are there any harmful side effects that we should be aware of when using the Brazilian Peel?
Brazilian Peel has no known harmful side effects. The product is free of:
– Synthetic Fragrances
– Synthetic Dyes
However, everyone’s skin is unique. You may have certain sensitivities with any skincare product or ingredient. If you experience redness, irritation or any other side effects with Brazilian Peel or any skincare product, discontinue use.
5. What are your biggest skincare don’ts?
- Don’t expose yourself to UV unnecessarily. No tanning beds, and use and SPF 30 or greater every day, rain or shine.
- Don’t smoke.
- Don’t pick at your skin.
- Don’t skip cleansing your skin at least 1x daily, but don’t over-cleanse or over-dry either.
- Don’t forget to exfoliate, at least 1x per week to encourage cellular renewal and keep skin clear of dead cells that can clog pores and leave skin looking dull.
- Don’t forget to nourish your skin with antioxidant protection and proper moisture.
- Don’t forget that your skin is the body’s largest organ: what you eat and how well you are hydrated affect the appearance of your skin.
Have you ever done a facial peel? Which one have you used?
Photo courtesy of: Advanced Home Actives
FTC Disclosure: Product mentioned in this review was received as a free sample.