Friend Friday: Blogger Jealousy

Thanks to a fellow blog in the beauty and fashion world, Modly Chic, I got the awesome opportunity to participate in Friend Friday.  Every Friday, a group of us bloggers post our answers to the same set of questions on various topics!  This week’s topic is Blogger Jealousy and this was one that really made me think!  Make sure you check out what the other Friend Friday bloggers had to say on the subject!

1. How do you define jealousy?   I define jealousy as wanting what someone else has and then looking at yourself, wondering why you don’t have that.  You can expect a little pity party after that!
  2. When do you find you experience a bit of blogger jealousy?  I experience a bit of it when I’m checking out other blogs within my niche of beauty and fashion, especially the big ones!
  3. What types of blogs or which bloggers are you a little jealous of?   The types of blogs I am a little jealous of sometimes those blogs with the super cool layouts, the gorgeous professional photos, and have a huge following! The types of bloggers would have to be the most influential ones, who attend those cool media events, are able to get into the tents of fashion week, and are able to speak at huge blogging networking events.
  4. From the time we’re little we are taught that jealousy is a bad thing, but it can also inspire us to be better. Have you changed the way you do things, the content of your blog, etc… as a result of what someone else is doing?    Sometimes when I check out the blogs that I really like, I get ideas on layout, types of content, and how to better focus my blog.  Then I look at mine and if those ideas work within the vision of what I want my blog to be, I try it out and see if it works for me.  At the end of the day, whatever I choose to do based on what others do, it has to be me with my voice and my vision
  5. What is the best way to overcome jealousy in the blogosphere and in life?  The best way to overcome it is to take a step back and look at the things that you’ve accomplished.  Appreciate that and be proud of yourself.  Then look at all those other blogs and see how long it took them to get to where they are and remember that they didn’t get there overnight.  Instead of looking at them in jealousy, look at them as the place you aspire to be in blogging (and in life) and keep pushing!

What’s your take on the subject?  How do you deal with blogger jealousy or any type of jealousy for that matter?

Photo courtesy of: yourtango.com

18 thoughts on “Friend Friday: Blogger Jealousy

1. Mia L. Shelton says:

This is an interesting topic. Jealousy is really an ugly thing that can cause people to act in ugly ways. I prefer to use the success of others to inspire me to stay focused and develop my own unique skillset. Our individual experiences make us unique in life which means that there is a place (and enough room) for all of us to be successful! Compete against yourself, operate only at your personal best and forget about the rest! When you do that nothing can stop you from becoming a star in your own right. :-)

I couldn’t have put it better myself! If we used the time we would be using to be jealous to make ourselves better, we would definitely be successful!

2. Chandra says:

Ah, yes. Bloggers with great photos! I get pretty envious of those big glossy photos every now and again, too!

I put my envy to good use and look at ways to recreate/redo my site!

Nice to “meet you” via Friend Friday!

Chandra

3. JTwisdom says:

Loved your post on this issue of Friend Friday.
    I really like your layout design and I agree that when it comes down to it we can gather ideas from other blogs but it must come from your individuality. Your blog must have your style, your persona. I think that I am starting to find out what and where I want that direction to go with my blog.

4. daisybabie says:

Wowzers! You wrote about ‘influential blogs” in your #3. i don’t think i realized that is what i’d like my lil space to represent and become. thank you for writing that.
    what i wanna be when i grow up are like “the influential blogs” out there.

great answers, mj! cheers!

Thank you! There are a lot of influential bloggers out there who have a large audience – large enough that they get to speak at important blogging events. Check out Independent Fashion Bloggers, their videos section and you’ll know exactly who I mean! :) btw: I want to be that too when I group up!

5. ayee says:

if someone feels jealous about something or someone the problem dwells with that person not the the person you feel this way about it may be cause by something in ourself conscious that we are not ok with or something might be wrong with our self esteem and a pshcological delima that may have occur that has left you scar for life or temporariy.

Aww thanks Gina!! WordPress does wonders with layouts!! :) Thanks so much for checking me out and adding me to your bloglovin list!! I’m going to the same!

6. Katy says:

“You can expect a little pity party after that…” Love this! So true. It’s funny how we humans are. Instead of figuring out how to change that emotion we tend to dwell on it and make it worse.
    Thanks for participating.